Ok, I know this might not sound all that appetizing but I PROMISE it is so good! I was honestly shocked that it ended up turning out so well. I was afraid the turkey would cause it to be dry and tasteless, but it was actually quite the opposite! It turned out moist, tasted great, and I modified the original recipe to suit those of us who count macros!
I used 98% lean ground turkey and it was very moist so don’t be afraid to use the leanest turkey you can find! Also, I want to add that I used the sugar free ketchup (which I absolutely do not like on it’s own) to the actual meatloaf to save on calories. It seemed to have no affect on the taste of this meal. I did switch back to regular ketchup for the sauce only because it is a small amount and I didn’t want the sauce to taste weird. I made this meal exactly like I posted below so if you make any substitutions I can’t vouch for what it will taste like. 🙂
1lb 98% lean ground turkey
1/4 sugar free ketchup
2 tbsp of regular ketchup (for sauce)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 of a small onion
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Saute olive oil and onion until onion is soft
- In a medium bowl mix turkey, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, 1/4 of sugar free ketchup, Italian seasoning, and salt
- Grease a loaf pan with a non stick spray
- Place meat mixture in loaf pan and shape it like a loaf
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes
- While meat is baking, mix in a small bowl the 2 tbsp of ketchup and the Worcestershire sauce. I also added a pinch of brown sugar however you don’t have to!
- When the meat has reached 30 minutes, remove from oven and spread sauce on top
- Place back in the oven for another 30 minutes
- Wait 5 minutes before slicing
Serves 4. Macros per serving are approximately 30P 9C 6F. These are subject to change depending on ingredients used and the brand.
I apologize that I didn’t get a picture of the final product! You will have to use your imagination 🙂 If you try it feel free to let me know your thoughts!